Sydney Olympic Games, 2000
ContentsOlympic quick facts
LinksThe Olympic Games: past present and future
Olympic and sports-related sites
Sydney: home of the 2000 Olympic Games
Australia: culture, heritage, history
- The Olympics began in Greece about 3,500 years ago.
- 393AD: The Games were discontinued.
- 1887: Baron Pierre de Coubertin came up with the idea of reviving the Olympics.
- 1894: The International Olympic Committee was founded.
- 1896: The first Olympics of the modern era was held in Athens.
- 1956: Australia held its first Olympics in Melbourne.
- 1993: Sydney, Australia was awarded the right to host the 2000 Olympic Games.
- Olympic rings
Each ring symbolises a part of the world: Oceania, the Americas, Africa, Asia and Europe.
- Three Sydney Olympics' mascots:
Olly the kookaburra, Syd the platypus, Millie the echidna.
- Lighting of the Olympic torch
The lighting of the Olympic torch took place at noon, 12 May, 2000 at Olympia, the site of the Ancient Olympic Games of Greece.
- Opening ceremony: 7.00pm, Friday 15 September, 2000.
- Closing ceremony: 8.00pm, Sunday 1 October, 2000.
- Harbour of Life Arts festival: August - October, 2000.
- Paralympic Games : 18 - 29 October, 2000.
- 2012 London Olympic Games
- 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
- 2004 Athens Olympic Games
- 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Games
- 2000 Sydney Olympic website (now archived) The Official site of the Games of the XXVII Olympiad
- 1998 Nagano Winter Olympic Games
- 1956 Melbourne Olympics
- 1956 Melbourne Olympics, 1956 - National Archives of Australia
- Paralympic Games
- Olympic Studies, University of Technology Sydney
- Australian Paralympic Committee Website
- Australian Athletes Profiled
- Australian Institute of Sport
- Australian Olympic Committee
- Australian Sports Commission
- Sydney 2000 Olympic Games Project
- Centre for Olympic and Sports Studies, Barcelona, Spain
- Federation of Gay Games
- International Centre for Olympic Studies
- International Olympic Committee
- Olympic Museum
- Markets, fairs and special events in Sydney
- Sydney Opera House
- Sydney's weather today (updates daily)
- Sydney CitySearch
- Sydney City Council Visitors' Guide
- Tourism New South Wales
- Archives of Australia Network
- Collections Australia Network
- Stories of the Dreaming / Indigenous Australia
- The Space
Last updated: 7 December 2010