• Share on facebook
  • Share on twitter
  • Share on LinkedIn
  • Share on Google+

Can I use my existing licence to drive in Australia?

In Australia, laws and driving regulations differ from state to state. Some states require you to carry an International Licence with your current foreign licence. Other states request you carry your current foreign driver's licence together with a formal translation of your licence into English.

As a general rule, you are able to drive in Australia, as a visitor, on a valid overseas driver's licence that covers the same vehicle class for a maximum of three months after arriving in Australia.

To find out what the driving licence laws are for each state, please contact the relevant Road and Traffic Authority.

Back to top