How do I obtain a police (criminal history) records check?
The Australian Federal Police (AFP) provides National Police Checks (criminal history checks) for:
- residents of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Jervis Bay Territory and other external Commonwealth territories
- people seeking employment with the Commonwealth Government
- people requiring a check under Commonwealth legislation, e.g. Australian Securities and Investments Commission, Immigration purposes
- overseas employment
- adoption, including overseas adoption, and
- visa applications.
All other applicants should contact the Criminal Records section of their relevant State or Territory police service. If you are unsure whether you should apply to the AFP or your state service, contact AFP Criminal Records.
State Police Records Checks:
- New South Wales - National criminal history record check
- Northern Territory - get a criminal history check
- Queensland - Police certificate (Australia-wide criminal history)
- South Australia - National police certificate
- Tasmania - Police history record checks
- Victoria - National police records check
- Western Australia - Police checks and certificates