ABN - Apply for an ABN (Australian Business Number)
An ABN is the unique 11 digit identifying number that businesses use when dealing with other businesses. An ABN can assist businesses with:
- claiming GST credits
- claiming fuel tax credits qualified for
- limiting amounts being withheld from payment under PAYG withholding
- allowing businesses to easily confirm your details for ordering and invoicing purposes
- dealing with the tax office and with other government departments and agencies.
When you apply for and receive your ABN, the business details from your application become part of the ABR (Australian Business Register).
The ABR is the starting point for registering your business in the tax system, where you can:
- register for an ABN and other tax obligations, such as goods and services tax (GST) and pay as you go (PAYG) withholding
- access and update your own business details
- check information, such as the GST status and ABN of other businesses, for ordering and invoicing purposes, and
- apply for a business tax file number.
Choose the Click to access button below to start your ABN application or update your ABN details.
What if I need more information?
The ABR has a Business Infoline for general registration enquiries including ABN, PAYG, GST and reactivating cancelled ABN or review of refused ABN decisions (via the Tax Office call centre) at 132 866.
For callers with a hearing or speech impairment, call 1300 555 727. An interpreter service is also available for non-English speaking callers at 131 450.