Business name registration
A new National Business Names Registration System has replaced the state and territory registers. All business name registrations are now managed by ASIC. Business names registered under state and territory registers have been transferred to the new system.
You now only need to register for a business name once; once your name is registered, it is registered nationally. You need to have an Australian Business Number (ABN), or be in the process of applying for one and not have been refused, in order to apply for a business name.
How do I register for a business name?
- you will first need to have an Australian Business Number (ABN) or ABN application reference number
- enter the proposed business name and select a registration period
- enter the proposed business name holder details, including representative details (if required)
- enter the business address
- confirm your eligibility to hold a business name
- review and change the information is required
- declare and submit
- pay the registration fee