Tax - change of name, address, date of birth or gender
You can update your name, address, date of birth or gender details held by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for income tax purposes.
Name and address details can be updated by phoning 132 861; or you may complete a Change of name and address advice for individuals form and send via post.
To have a copy of the form mailed to you:
- order from Online publications ordering service or
- phone the Publications Distribution Service on 1300 720 092.
Overseas callers can phone +61 2 62161111 between the hours of 8.00am to 5.00pm and ask to be transferred to Personal tax enquiries.
If you believe that your date of birth or gender/sex code details have been recorded incorrectly, contact ATO to update:
What if I need more information?
If you need more information about updating your details phone 132 861 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.
What is needed to use this service?
If you phone, you will need to establish your identity by providing details of three of the following items:
- your date of birth
- your business, residential, postal or email address (maximum of one address)
- your bank account number (BSB number not required), and/or
- details from a Tax Office generated notice (maximum of two different notices, for example, the sequence number from any notice of assessment issued to you).
To assist with your enquiry you may also quote your tax file number (TFN). It is not an offence not to quote your TFN but quoting it reduces the risk of administrative errors that may delay the processing of your enquiry. If you would like another person such as a friend, family member or tax practitioner to update your details on your behalf, they must be listed as an authorised contact on your account.