• Share on facebook
  • Share on twitter
  • Share on LinkedIn
  • Share on Google+

Tax - change of name, address, date of birth or gender

Service Description

You can update your address, nominated representative and contact details held by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for income tax purposes using the online services, by phone, in person or by completing a Change of details for individuals form and send via post.

To have a copy of the form mailed to you:

Your name, gender or date of birth can only be updated by phone, mail or in person as you may require supporting documents.

Overseas callers can phone +61 2 62161111 between the hours of 8.00am to 5.00pm and ask to be transferred to Personal tax enquiries.

If you believe that your date of birth or gender/sex code details have been recorded incorrectly, contact ATO to update:

What if I need more information?

If you need more information about updating your details phone 132 861 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.

What is needed to use this service?

To use the online service to update your details you will need to register for a secure login where you will need to provide information from personal documents.

These include:

  • your tax file number
  • date of birth
  • identification documents provided to the ATO by certain organisations and institutions.

If you phone, you will need to establish your identity by providing details of three of the following items:

  • your date of birth
  • your business, residential, postal or email address (maximum of one address)
  • your bank accountnumber (BSB number not required), and/or
  • details from a Tax Office generated notice (maximum of two different notices, for example, the sequence number from any notice of assessment issued to you).

To assist with your enquiry you may also quote your tax file number (TFN). It is not an offence not to quote your TFN but quoting it reduces the risk of administrative errors that may delay the processing of your enquiry. If you would like another person such as a friend, family member or tax practitioner to update your details on your behalf, they must be listed as an authorised contact on your account.

How do I access this service?


  • 132 861


  • Monday to Friday
    8.00am to 6.00pm AEST
Back to top