Australian Government ICT Cadetship Program
The Australian Government ICT Cadetship Program is for current university students who have completed their first year (or full-time equivalent) of an undergraduate degree in ICT, or an undergraduate degree with an ICT major.
As a cadet you will work a minimum of 2 days per week within an Australian Government agency. The remainder of your time will be dedicated to finishing your university study, which should take a minimum of 18 months and a maximum of 3 years to complete.
During your cadetship you will also receive a generous study allowance to support your university costs.
What will I do?
You will be employed at the APS2 level (or equivalent) in one of many exciting Australian Government agencies participating in the Program, across the country. Within your agency you will work as part of a team in one of the following ICT related areas:
- infrastructure support
- applications development
- web development
- systems testing
- systems analysis and design
- systems management
- project management
- service desk
How will I stay on track?
To help you succeed in your ICT Cadetship you will be provided with a large amount of support.
Your workplace supervisor will guide you in your day-to-day work, answer questions and provide you with advice. A dedicated career development and support officer will also assist with your academic and workplace progress, as well as act as an informal mentor and career coach.
You will also have the opportunity to participate in networking events where you can socialise with other cadets in order to develop professional and social networks.
In addition, you will participate in training activities that will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to become a high performing Australian Government employee.
How do I apply?
Applications for the 2015 Program are now closed. Applications for the 2016 program will open in July 2015.
At this stage we can confirm the following agencies will be on the Program:
- Attorney-General's Department
- Australian Customs and Border Protection Service
- Australian Taxation Office
- Department of Defence – Australian Signals Directorate
- Department of Defence – Chief Information Officers Group
- Department of Employment
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Department of Human Services (Canberra, Adelaide and Brisbane)
- Department of Social Services
Positions will be located in Canberra unless otherwise noted. This is a live list and more agencies may be added.
To apply you must:
- be an Australian Citizen
- have completed the first year (full-time equivalent) of your undergraduate degree in ICT, or your undergraduate degree with an ICT major, by January 2015
- be able to complete your university studies in a minimum of 18 months and a maximum of 3 years
- be able to pass a security assessment