• Share on facebook
  • Share on twitter
  • Share on LinkedIn
  • Share on Google+

Registration and licences

Can I use my existing licence to drive in Australia?

Information about driving in Australia for overseas visitors.

Department of Transport and Main Roads (Qld)

Provides information on licensing and registration, safety, and roads, travel and transport. Allows you to complete tasks related to vehicle registration, driver licence, change your address and find other information and services.

Department of Transport and Main Roads [Qld]

Driver and vehicle services (WA)

Provides a wide range of licensing functions for vehicles and drivers licences. You can make licensing payments via this site and change your details online.

Department of Transport [WA]

Driver's licence application

Planning to drive for the first time? Provides links to state and territory information on getting your driver's licence.

Driver's licence renewal

Do you need to renew your driver's licence? Provides links to state and territory licence renewal information.

International driving permits

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is proof that you hold a valid driver licence in your home country. IDPs are issued through state and territory motoring clubs. This page on the Smartraveller site links to relevant IDP authorities in each state.

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade


Designed to help improve driver safety by fostering a partnership between learners, their supervising drivers and professional instructors. Keys2drive is an initiative of the Australian Automobile Association and sponsored by the Australian Government.

Australian Automobile Association

Motor vehicle registry (NT)

Provides motor vehicle inspection and registration, and driving licensing services throughout the Northern Territory.

Department of Transport [NT]

Motoring (SA)

Discover a range of information for motorists including registering vehicles, applying for and renewing driver's licences and road and traffic conditions.

Government of South Australia

Overseas driver licences

Austroads page containing information for overseas drivers driving in Australia while on holidays. Visiting drivers must carry their valid overseas licence with them at all times while driving in Australia.


Registration renewal

Do you need to renew your vehicle registration? Provides links to state and territory vehicle registration or licence renewal information.


Allows you to complete tasks related to vehicle registration, pay infringements, change your address and find information on vehicle registration, and vehicle inspections.

Road Transport Authority [ACT]

Road rules

Learning to drive? Travelling interstate? Make sure you know the road rules. Provides links to state and territory road rules information.

Roads and Maritime Services (NSW)

Responsible for promoting road safety and traffic management, driver licensing and vehicle registration in News South Wales. It is also responsible for the maintenance and development of the road network in NSW.

Roads and Maritime Services [NSW]

Transport (Tas)

Provides links to a range of transport related information including licence and registration information, concessions, safety, and roads and public transport information which is primarily concerned with roads, bridges, passenger and freight transport services.

Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources [Tas]


VicRoads manages the Victorian road network and its use as an integral part of the overall transport system. This site includes links to information about licensing and registrations, road rules, road projects and road traffic information. From this site you can change your address, pay your registration, get a vehicle security certificate, check your driver history and check if land is affected by a road proposal.


Back to top